[w8_column type=”col-md-6″]« Bell Pepper and Tomato Rice with Cashews[/w8_column]
[w8_column type=”col-md-6″]Vegetarian Chinese Chicken Rice »[/w8_column]
Egg plant and Potato Masala – January 12th, 2012
Eggplant and potato cooked in a seasoned tomato sauce, this dish is especially delicious served with any flavored rice.
from “Healthy South Indian Cooking-Expanded Editon” by Hippocrene Books.
2 medium potatoes pealed
6 baby eggplants (or) 1/2 large eggplant
5 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 cup onion, cut into lengthwise pieces
1 cup diced tomato
3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 cup tomato sauce
1 to 2 tablespoons freshly ground or unsweetened powdered coconut
1. Wash the potatoes. Cut lengthwise into small pieces to make about 2 cups.
2. Cut eggplant lengthwise into small pieces to make about 2 cups.
3. Place oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add cumin seeds. Cover and fry until seeds are golden brown.
4. Add onion and tomato. Stir-fry for a few minutes.
5. Add potatoes and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook covered over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes until potatoes are slightly cooked. Add eggplant and mix well.
6. Add chilli powder, salt, and garam masala powder. Stir in tomato sauce and mix well. You may add about 1/4 cup of water to facilitate the cooking process.
7. Cover and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender.
8. Add coconut powder and mix well.